Harai goshi video
Info about "Harai goshi video"
Harai goshi (sweeping hip) is one of the original 40 throws of Judo as developed by Kano Jigoro. It belongs to the second group of the traditional throwing list in the Gokyo no waza of the Kodokan Judo. It is also part of the current 67 Throws of Kodokan Judo, and classified as a hip technique (koshiwaza). Russian Prime Minister and former President Vladimir Putin is known for his Harai Goshi
How to do harai goshi
Starting from a right-side grip:
- Simultaneously: pull the opponent’s sleeve up and towards you with your left hand, pull in with your right arm (gripping back of collar, lapel, or belt), and step your right foot to the front corner of their right foot.
- Step your left foot behind your right foot — right between their feet. Bend your knees. Stay low. Stay on the balls of your feet. Make contact with the side of your hip into their hip or upper thigh.
- Simultaneously: pivot on the ball of your left foot, lift with your left leg, stretch your right leg to the outside of their right thigh while swinging it up to the ceiling, and twist your body to the left (you’ll end up standing on your left toes with your body and right leg horizontal).
- The opponent will fly over your right shoulder.
- Keep the grip on the opponent’s sleeve and pull up slightly as they hit the mat. This allows you to maintain control and softens the impact for your partner.